Vanilla Madeleines with Lemon Glaze
Our Vanilla Madeleines with Lemon Glaze are a delightful cross between a cake and cookie. In our recipe, buttery vanilla batter meets tart lemon glaze for the perfect combination. The slightly crispy edges and soft, fluffy interior of these madeleines are irresistible and they bring a splash of elegance to any tea table or celebration. Try them paired with a light floral tea like our Garden Bouquet green tea, or our Lemon Soufflé rooibos. Make a batch for a special person in your life this Mother’s Day!
Makes about 24 cookies
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 eggs (best at room temp)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup butter, melted but not hot
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
For the lemon glaze:
- 2-3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- ¾ to 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray the madeleine pan with a neutral-flavored cooking spray or grease very well with butter.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla on medium speed, until lighter in color and fluffy.
- Add melted butter and beat well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cornstarch until well combined.
- Carefully fold the flour mixture into the liquid mixture with a spatula until fully incorporated.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Use a tablespoon to drop the batter into the greased madeleine pans, filling each shell about 2/3 full. The batter will expand to fill the molds.
- Bake at 375°F for 9-10 minutes, or until they spring back when pressed and are lightly browning around the edges.
- Lightly tap the madeleines out onto a cooling rack and allow to cool.
- When cool, mix the lemon juice and powdered sugar together until smooth. If it’s too thick add a little more juice, and if it’s too thin, add a little more powdered sugar.
- Gently hold the madeleines by the sides and dip the shell side into the glaze. Allow to sit at room temperature until the glaze sets up. Alternatively, you can drizzle the glaze in ribbons over the cooled madeleines.