Frequently Asked Questions
Below you’ll find quick answers to many of your frequently asked questions. If you can’t find the answer you’re looking for, don’t hesitate to contact us at 505-242-3752.
If you get the answering machine, please leave a message, and a Reservationist will call you back within 24 hours at the latest.
Click on a Tab to see the Frequently Asked Questions and their Answers.
What is the full afternoon teatime experience at The St. James Tearoom?
The St. James Tearoom provides guests with a three-course, British-style afternoon teatime. As a part of the Regular Adult Menu option, guests receive a set of 5 Savories, 2 Breads, and 3 Sweets. Each item is like a tiny work of art, meant to satiate the appetite, not to quench it, and to be savored over the two-hour seating time. Each of the 3 courses is paired with a teapot of one of our fine teas, steeped to perfection to enhance the flavors of the food. We have pre-set menus and themes that change monthly, so there is always a new menu for guests to enjoy. Click here to learn more about afternoon tea.
Do I need a reservation for dine in at The St. James Tearoom?
Yes, The St. James Tearoom is by reservation only. You can reserve through our online reservation system, where you can see real-time availability. Or you can call our Reservationists at 505-242-3752 to make a reservation. Be sure to leave a message so that we can get back to you within 24 hours.
Does The St. James Tearoom ever accept walk-ins?
The St. James Tearoom cannot usually accept walk-ins, due to limited capacity and other guest reservations.
Do I need to reserve based on how much we eat or how many people are in my party?
At The St. James Tearoom, make your reservation based on the total number of people in your party, so that we can seat everyone comfortably in our small seating areas and prepare each person’s individual menu option accordingly. Click here to make a reservation.
What is my credit card used for at the time of my reservation?
When you make a reservation at The St. James Tearoom, a credit card number is asked so that we can hold your reservation, just like at a hotel. We don’t charge that card to pay for your teatime when you come, so you will need to present payment to your Server. The only time we might charge the card is for our no-show fee if you don’t show up to your reservation.
Which seating areas are handicap accessible?
At The St. James Tearoom, the seating areas in the Nooks that are handicap accessible are Munstead Wood, Hill Top Farm, and 32 Castle St. The seating areas in the Library that are handicap accessible are Chartwell, HMS Endeavor, Flushing Manor, and St. James Gate. Please note that wheelchairs might take up more room and lower the number of people who can be seated in that specific area. Please call our Reservationists at 505-242-3752 to ask for a seating area that is handicap accessible, as our Online Booking System does not allow for seating area requests.
What are the prices for The St. James Tearoom?
You can find prices for The St. James Tearoom’s current menu here. Prices may vary from month to month and can be found at the bottom of each individual menu’s page. At The St. James Tearoom, prices are all-inclusive. We are proud to pay our employees above minimum wage, and we do not have tipped employees, therefore no tip is expected or required.
Can I choose what I want from the menu?
At The St. James Tearoom, we have pre-set menus that change every month. Because of this, we are not made-to-order, so all guests receive the pre-set menu that is being served at that time. We do not deviate from our pre-set menu other than what is listed for our pre-set Menu Options. View our current and upcoming pre-set menus here.
What are all your Menu Options?
We offer the following Menu Options: Regular; Nut-Free; Vegetarian; and Gluten-Free. We also have a Child Menu which is an abbreviated version of any of the previous options for smaller appetites. Finally, we also offer a Double Savories (No Sweets) option, which replaces the third course of sweets with a second set of savories. Due to the complicated nature of allergies and our pre-set menus, we cannot combine Nut-Free, Vegetarian, or Gluten-Free.
How much notice do you need to change Menu Options?
Due to the complicated nature of our pre-set menus, we require 48 hours’ notice to request or change to Nut-Free, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, or Double Savories (No Sweets) menu options.
Do you have Vegan or Dairy-Free Menu Options?
At this time, The St. James Tearoom does not offer Vegan or Dairy-Free menu options, and afternoon tea is traditionally dairy heavy. You can view the general allergy ingredients list on each menu page to know which items to avoid when you come.
What can I eat if I have allergies?
Please call a Reservationist at 505-242-3752 with any concerns about allergies. We cannot accommodate substitutions of our pre-set menu items, but we can plate items that contain your allergy separately and have a Server note those items so you know which ones to avoid.
Is your Gluten-Free menu safe for people with Celiac?
All of our Gluten-Free items are made in a kitchen where gluten is in use. We uphold strict, no cross-contamination health guidelines, and many guests with Celiac have found our Gluten-Free menu to be safe for their needs. Click here for more information about our Gluten-Free food.
Will you ever offer a “just tea and scones” option for dine in?
Can I switch out my teas if I don’t like a particular pairing?
Absolutely! It is best if you are able to tell a Reservationist at 505-242-3752 in advance if you would like to switch teas, particularly if it’s the first course tea, which is placed on your table when you arrive. However, if on the day of your reservation you would like to switch your second or third teas, just let your server know, and we can make that change for you.
Do you serve any drinks other than tea?
We offer à la carte alcoholic apéritif and digestif selections, as well as Gruet sparkling wine and Martinelli’s apple cider.
Can I get iced tea when I come for dine in?
We offer freshly prepared hot tea in teapots for dine in. However, in the summer months, we usually have an iced tea option available for our Carry Out service.
What can I drink if I am sensitive to caffeine or can’t have caffeine at all?
At The St. James Tearoom, we can decaffeinate our black and green teas for you. Our process lowers the caffeine while maintaining body and flavor, but much of the caffeine still remains. We recommend that guests who are especially sensitive to or can’t have caffeine at all reserve the Herbal (Caffeine-free) option for teas.
How soon do you announce themes?
We generally list three menus and themes at a time on our website. Click on the individual menu pages to see the relevant served dates to know which theme to expect for the day you are reserving.
Can I request a different theme for my teatime?
Just like our menus, our themes are pre-set and are only available for the set dates that they’ve been prepared for. Please refer to the Served Dates on each menu page to see when each menu and theme are available.
Can I add a guest to my party last-minute?
In general, we are not able to accommodate last-minute additions to your party, including children ages 4 and up. This is because space in each seating area is limited and food is reserved for each guest (including for children ages 4 and up) in advance.
What is your cancellation policy?
We have a 48-hour cancellation policy for dine in reservations. If your party does not show up for your teatime or we are not able to fill your spot from a waitlist, we may charge a $50 no-show fee.
My guest(s) cancelled on me last-minute. What can I do?
We do prepare our food for each guest individually, so we are happy to have the food brought out to your table so you can enjoy extra for the day, or we can box it up for you to take home for later or to your guest who couldn’t make it. We understand that each situation is different, so the best thing to do is call our Reservationists at 505-242-3752 as soon as possible so we can adjust your reservation if necessary.
How late can I switch to a Nut-Free, Vegetarian, or Gluten-Free menu?
Due to our pre-set menus, we require 48 hours’ notice to request or change to Nut-Free, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, or Double Savories (No Sweets) menu options.
What age can children start coming to tea?
In order to allow all of our guests to fully enjoy their experience, we only allow children ages 4 and up. Please see our Guidelines to Bringing Children to Tea for more information on how to tell if your child is ready for the environment that we provide at The St. James Tearoom.
Can I bring my toddler who is well behaved?
Our policy allows only children ages 4 and up to attend teatime. We have found this age to be the best cut-off we can use to ensure that everyone coming to tea can enjoy their experience. Please find a sitter for all children under age 4.
Is there a dress code for coming to tea?
At The St. James Tearoom, there is no required dress code for our dine in experience. However, many guests find that coming to tea is the perfect excuse to dress up a little. Some guests go all out according to our current menu and theme, and of course the typical teatime attire of hats and fascinators are always a joy for us to see.
Are pets allowed?
Trained service animals are of course welcome at The St. James Tearoom; however, we do not allow pets or emotional support animals.
Do you sell gift cards?
Yes, we sell gift cards in our Market in increments of $10. At this time, we do not have gift cards available online or electronic gift cards that can be sent via email, but we can send them through the postal service to your intended recipient if you call a Reservationist at 505-242-3752.
Why is my gift card not working for Carry Out?
Our current system for Carry Out accepts payment with gift cards but unfortunately only if your gift card covers the entire amount. If you would like to use your gift card toward your Carry Out purchase, please call a Reservationist at 505-242-3752 to order. Please have a second payment to cover the balance ready when you call.
What are the best things to do and places to go for your birthday in Albuquerque?
- Dine in at The St. James Tearoom for a fun birthday experience of afternoon tea in our cozy parlor setting, where you can dress up special if you want and feel pampered. Each item of our pre-set menu is like a work of art, and you can celebrate special with our à la carte apéritifs and digestifs. Make new memories today! (By Reservation Only)
- Carry Out the fine-dining experience of The St. James Tearoom to you own fun location like the Crest or the Bosque.
- Purchase scones and tea to spoil yourself on your birthday. The St. James Tearoom’s Traditional Cream Scones are always available, and every month there is a new featured bread to be enjoyed as well. Order through our Carry Out service.
What is there to do on a Date Night in Albuquerque?
- Dine in at The St. James Tearoom for your next date night idea. We serve a full afternoon tea experience in a cozy parlor setting where you can focus on your loved one and simply be with each other while creating new memories. (By Reservation Only)
- Carry Out the fine-dining experience of The St. James Tearoom to your special spot, picnic-style. Or save it for after the kids are in bed and have an intimate date night at home.
- Purchase scones and tea to have a cost-effective date night. The St. James Tearoom’s Traditional Cream Scones are always available, and every month there is a new featured bread to be enjoyed as well. Order through our Carry Out service and pick them up on your way home from work.
- Buy loose leaf tea from The St. James Online Tea Shop and have it shipped directly to you. Inside every parcel is a teatime recipe for you to make and enjoy with your loved one for date night.
What are the best Staycation Ideas in Albuquerque?
- Dine in at The St. James Tearoom for the best a Staycation can offer in Albuquerque. Experience our afternoon tea menu and theme in a cozy parlor setting where you can connect with family and feel rested without leaving the state. (By Reservation Only)
- Carry Out the fine-dining experience of The St. James Tearoom to host an intimate get-together in your own home or plan a fun picnic in the Foothills or the Bosque.
- Attend a unique Special Event at The St. James Tearoom, which takes our regular teatime experience and makes it even more special.
- Shop at our boutique-style St. James Gift Shop, which always has beautiful souvenirs to find for your Staycation.
- Purchase scones and tea for a mini Staycation anytime. The St. James Tearoom’s Traditional Cream Scones are always available, and every month there is a new featured bread to be enjoyed as well. Order through our Carry Out service.
- Buy loose leaf tea from The St. James Online Tea Shop and have it shipped directly to you. Inside every parcel is a teatime recipe for you to make and enjoy on your Staycation.
Didn’t find the answer you’re looking for? Don’t hesitate to contact us at 505-242-3752.
If you get the answering machine, please leave a message, and a Reservationist will call you back within 24 hours at the latest.