Savory Bacon Bread Puddings
Perfect for the cold winter months, our Savory Bacon Bread Puddings are quick and easy to prepare, but impressive and versatile. The base recipe includes cheese and crispy bacon, but you can easily add chopped, cooked veggies like kale, spinach, broccoli, or other favorites, as well as leeks, scallions, shallots, or garlic. Such additions will give these satisfying little bread puddings a healthy kick plus a nice pop of color. These are the perfect size for sharing at your next teatime, or they can make the perfect side dish for just about any meal.
For a fun tea pairing, serve these little savory bread puddings alongside our Higbie & Sons maple-bacon flavored An African Morrow herbal tea blend.
- 4 pieces of bacon, cooked until crispy and drained
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp. minced fresh sage
- 6 croissants, cut into ½-inch cubes/pieces (about 6 cups cubed)
- Crumble the crisp-cooked bacon and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, half and half, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Add the grated cheese and bacon to the egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the cubed bread to the bowl and toss until bread is well-coated and absorbing the liquid. Let stand for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to allow the bread to absorb the liquid.
- Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray. Fill each cup with bread mixture. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean and the tops are browning. Remove from muffin tin and serve immediately.