Gluten-Free Mini Green Tea Cakes with Lime Frosting
Yields about 4 dozen mini tea cakes
For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup white rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 2 Tbsp. matcha green tea powder**
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup plain yogurt
For the Frosting:
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 8 oz. butter, softened
- Zest from 4 limes
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. matcha green tea powder
- Pinch salt
**You can find matcha powder in many stores such as Target and Walmart, or online!
- Whisk together the first seven ingredients in one bowl (brown rice flour through salt) and set aside.
- In a mixer bowl, combine sugar, oil, and eggs and beat together until smooth.
- Add half the flour mixture and half the yogurt to the mixer. Mix on low until smooth. Repeat with the other half of the flour and yogurt and mix until smooth. Scrape the sides down and make sure all the flour is mixed in.
- Prepare mini muffin tins with butter and flour, or use any small-cavity silicone baking mold, sprayed with cooking spray. Pictured is a cake made in a dome-shaped silicon mold. Fill each mini muffin cup or silicon mold about ¾ full.
- Bake at 325°F for about 10 minutes or until the cakes spring back when touched lightly.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pans, then remove from pans to cooling racks and cool completely.
- For the frosting: In a mixer, beat the cream cheese, butter, and lime zest until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and matcha power and beat until fluffy, periodically scraping down the sides of the bowl. If the frosting is stiff, add a little lime juice until you reach the desired consistency.
- Pipe small dollops of frosting using a large star tip (or any tip you prefer!). Enjoy!