Combining real Champagne, fresh berries, and sweet white grape juice, our Berry Champagne Gelées are a refreshing accompaniment to any celebration, particularly in the warmer months of the year. They make for a sophisticated and light dessert following any meal, sure to add a splash of color to your menu. And if you want an alcohol-free option, simply substitute sparkling grape juice for the Champagne. This recipe also happens to be gluten-free!
- 2 ⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 1 ⁄2 tsp. unflavored gelatin
- 2 ⁄3 cup white grape juice
- 2 cups Champagne or sparkling wine (divided)
- 4 tsp. lemon juice
- fresh raspberries
- fresh blueberries
- Have 6 – 12 small clear bowls or martini glasses ready. See serving sizes below.
- In a microwave safe bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over the white grape juice and soften for 5 minutes, then stir well. Microwave in 15-second increments, stirring, until gelatin is fully dissolved.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and 1 cup of Champagne. Cook over medium heat until sugar fully dissolves, stirring frequently.
- Add the gelatin mixture to the saucepan and stir constantly for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the remaining 1 cup of Champagne and the lemon juice.
- Place a mixture of berries into small clear bowls or tiny martini glasses (about 6 – 7 berries per dish—make sure the berries are dry). Pour Champagne-gelatin mixture over berries.
- Chill the dishes in the refrigerator for about 3 hours, or until the gelatin is completely set.
Yields about twelve 2-ounce servings, or six 4-ounce servings.