Cinnamon Swirl Loaf Recipe
This Cinnamon Swirl Loaf Recipe is the perfect festive loaf to share around the table. With the season of gathering upon us, a beautiful centerpiece is inviting to your guests, and this recipe is suited to the task. What better way to celebrate and be thankful than sharing and enjoying an elegant swirl in each slice? With Thanksgiving around the corner, this loaf will be the perfect addition to your feast, or you can make it anytime as a simple but unforgettable treat over a cup of tea. Serve with salted butter to complement the sweetness.
We recommend pairing this Cinnamon Swirl Loaf Recipe with our Chai Express scented black tea (scroll past the recipe to see additional tea recommendations).
Sweet Potato Cinnamon Swirl Loaf
Prep Time: 40 – 60 min. plus time for dough to rise
Bake Time: 30 – 35 min.
Makes 1 Loaf
For the Dough:
- ¾ cup mashed sweet potato, about 1 medium sweet potato
- ¾ cup milk, warm
- 2 ¼ tsp. yeast
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 – 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
For the Cinnamon Swirl:
- 6 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 egg
- Cook sweet potato until tender. (See baking tips.)
- Heat up milk to 105°F – 110°F; add yeast and sugar and stir. Let bloom for 5 – 10 min.
- Once yeast is bubbly, add 3/4 cup sweet potato, 1 egg, and melted butter and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Add wet mixture into a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add the salt and most of the flour and begin mixing on medium-low speed.
- Knead the dough for 10 – 20 min., sprinkling in remaining flour if needed until the dough has formed a ball and has stopped sticking to the sides of the bowl. Shape the dough further into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Lightly grease the top of the dough, then cover and set in a warm area to rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Sift together the powdered sugar and the cinnamon into a bowl and set aside. Whisk 1 egg and set aside. Grease your loaf pan and set aside.
- Punch the dough down once risen and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll to an 8” x 20” rectangle, dusting with flour as needed.
- Brush the egg generously over the rectangle until it is covered (save some of the egg wash for later).
- Using a sieve, sprinkle all of the cinnamon sugar mix over the dough evenly, leaving about 1/2” border on one short side.
- Starting with the other short side, tightly roll dough into a log. Set the log into the prepared loaf pan and cover. Let rise 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Once the dough is risen, brush the top with the remaining egg wash.
- Bake for 30 – 35 min. or until center reaches 200°F. Let loaf cool completely before slicing. Serve with unsalted butter if you like.
- For the sweet potato, bake in foil ~40 minutes, then scoop out of the skin OR peel, chop, and steam over simmering water with a lid for ~30 minutes OR peel, chop, and microwave with a little water covered ~3 – 5 minutes. Cool slightly and mash with a fork.
- If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can whisk the wet ingredients together.
- Dough rising times depend on how warm it is where you leave the dough. It can take anywhere from 40 min to 1 ½ hours.
We recommend you serve this afternoon tea recipe with the following loose leaf teas.