Easy Maple Oat Scone Recipe with Maple Butter
This easy maple oat scone recipe is perfect for fall! What could be better for the season than sitting on the porch with a loved one, noses cold from the crisp air but bellies warm from such a hearty treat? We simply love autumn–the caress of color on the leaves, the warm sweaters, and especially the touch of spices in teas! These maple oat scones are excellent by themselves, but we prefer them drizzled with maple glaze. Serve them with maple butter for a sweeter treat!
Keep scrolling for the Maple Butter and Maple Glaze Recipes along with Tea Recommendations to pair with these easy maple oat scones!
Yields 18 scones
For the Maple Oat Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oats, old-fashioned
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 6 oz. of cold butter (we recommend Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter for this recipe)
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 oz. pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. pure maple extract (optional)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Egg wash to brush tops
Freeze these scones and bake later for a delicious treat at any time. You can bake them frozen! All you have to do is add a few minutes to the baking time.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a mixer with a paddle, combine all dry ingredients: the flour, oats, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Cut in the butter until small sized pieces remain. Replace paddle with dough hook.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, maple syrup, maple extract (optional), and buttermilk.
- Add wet mixture to dry and mix just until a dough forms with dough hook.
- Roll dough to ¾ inch thickness on a floured surface, and cut into your desired scone shape.
- Place scones on parchment-lined baking sheet and brush the tops with egg wash.
- Bake for 18 minutes and set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, brush scones or drizzle with Maple Glaze.
Serve these Easy Maple Oat Scones with Maple Butter and tea!
For the Maple Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar and maple butter until well-combined. Use this glaze to brush or drizzle over the tops of these simple maple oat scones.
For the Maple Butter
- 3 tsp. butter, softened
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- In a small bowl, mix the butter and maple syrup until well-combined. Serve with these easy maple oat scones.