These White Cheddar and Black Pepper Scones are sure to be a hit with your family and friends. Take the time to grind the pepper when you make them and it will really shine through. We also recommend a really nice sharp white cheddar to balance the spicy pepper and give a nice crunch on top. Serve these with clotted cream and our Garden Bouquet green tea. If you’re feeling really adventurous, try these scones with peach preserves for a fun and delicious contrast.
White Cheddar and Black Pepper Scones
Makes 15 Square SconesIngredients:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 5 Tbsp. cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup of sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, 1 cup of shredded white cheddar, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
- Using a pastry blender or two butter knives, cut in the chilled butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. It will have some slightly larger pea sized pieces as well. Work as quickly as you can so the butter doesn’t melt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream and heavy cream.
- Stir cream mixture into the dry ingredients, just enough until dough comes together.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and bring it together into a slightly flattened rectangle. Gently fold the dough in half over itself and pat it out again, and fold it over on itself again, making sure to bring in all the pieces. This will help create some flaky layers.
- Roll out dough to about an 8 inch by 5 inch rectangle and 1/2 – 3/4 inch thickness. Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to cut the dough into 15 equal squares.
- Place scones on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush the tops with cream. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 12 –13 minutes.
- Serve fresh alongside clotted cream and peach preserves.