Plan a Harry Potter Teatime with Your Children
Getting children to read for pleasure outside school is a challenge in this age of easy scrolling. If your children do enjoy reading, likely it is because of the Harry Potter books. These books draw children (and adults) into the joys of written story and keep them enthralled book after book. For this reason alone, we may be grateful. But the stories themselves are delightful, adventurous, and magical—all about a small group of friends who must stand up and fight for Good against the evil surrounding them. Kids enter their world, identifying with these friends, and root for Good to win out.
September is our salute to these wonderful stories, and it is a perfect time for parents to involve their children in a fun activity that will stimulate creativity and create memories. Whether you choose to order our “Recipes from the World of Wizards” carryout menu for a magical teatime experience, or bake off some fresh St. James Traditional Cream Scones as a delightful treat, consider planning a Harry Potter Tea together.
It can be a project your children can anticipate and enjoy being an integral part of. Allow your children to help make the decisions.
Here are some ways to involve your children in planning a Harry Potter Teatime:
- Have your children decide if there will be invitations (even just to each other).
- Ask your children how the table should be set and decorated? Using the same china for everyone is a classic look, but you could also use different china for each guest or alternate the patterns.
- How should your children include the different Houses? An emblem or flag at each place setting?
- Do your children want a Marauder’s Map, and if so, who will draw it?
- Consider reading a few chapters out loud with your children for some evenings beforehand to increase the anticipation.
- Have your children make easy, golden snitch place cards to indicate where everyone is sitting. This is one of our favorite magical ideas. There are tons of free printables out there for snitch wings. Simply pick one you like, cut them out, and tape or glue them to Ferrero Rocher candies (the gold foil is simply perfect for this!). Add a handwritten name for a truly magical place setting.
See our examples of place settings below, one for each House, with the golden snitches resting to the side as name cards!